Saturday, April 21, 2012

Won a match against ramp, finally...

Game one, he turn 5 Karns me, exiling my batterskull token (not the batterskull), but my no-action vs his Karn + Huntmaster is enough to do me in.
Game two, I go noble into berserker into gambit into gambit, and he scoops them up at 2 life on turn 4, with a 6/6 noble and 5/5 Berserker, and 6 cards in hand.

Game three:
So, I start with a fairly "speculative" hand of 4 Mountains, Berserker, 2 Metamorphs, on the draw.

Turn 1:
My opponent leads with mountain, I follow suit (drawing a volt charge).




Turn 2:
My opponent plays forest, sphere.  I hope to draw a Manic Vandal, but I can't even cast it for another two turns...
I draw a Tumble Magnet, swallow my pride, and run out the Berserker unbloodthirsted as a 1/1.

Turn 3:
My opponent plays a Glimmerpost (ug) and passes (with 4 mana)
I draw a Koth, play a mountain, attack for one (opponent at 20), run out the tumble magnet and pass the turn.

Turn 4:
My opponent plays another sphere, a forest, and casts ancient grudge on my Tumble Magnet
I draw another Berserker, play a Mountain, cast Koth, and attack for 5 (opponent at 15)

Turn 5:
My opponent plays an Inkmoth, taps everything, and slaps down a Karn, Exiling my Koth (oh, oh good)
I think as hard as I can to my deck "Just draw another Koth, and he's dead"... (attack karn with the mountain, etc).
Instead I draw a Mountain, which isn't half bad.  I attack him with the berserker (14), cast another berserker, and tap out to Volt Charge him, redirecting to Karn, pumping my new Berserker to 4/4 with proliferate.

Turn 6:
 My opponent draws up to 3 cards, and drops a Primeval Titan (Spheres at 2 and 1).  He searches out a Glimmerpost (16) and a Wolf Run.
Okay, I have two metamorphs in my hand, no other cards, and 5 land in play, all I need is a land.  Easy.  I draw a Koth instead.  Now, an amateur might run the Koth out, attack into the titan, and deal 5, but I have other plans.  I play the Koth for 4, one mana up.  I minus it, and tap my last mountain to cast both metamorphs on Primeval Titan.  He has a grudge, but I search out 4 land, maybe that'll make it easier to draw, say, another Koth or whatever.  I still smash for 5, since Berserker is awesome, and my opponent drops to 11.

Turn 7:
My opponent drops a Copperline Gorge tapped, and grudges one of the titans.  He then GSZ's for 5(!) for a slime, killing the other Titan.  I still have outs.  I'm playing several fireballs in my deck, etc.
He ends his turn by attacking Koth with his primeval, searching out two Glimmerposts (19, well out of fireball range now)
I untap, and draw a Berserker.  Well, that's not that useful.  My opponent has a Nexus and a sphere with one counter on it untapped, but I basically have to go for it, I slam in with both berserkers, and he messes up, activating the nexus post-blockers.  I drop my berserker down, and end the turn with a 1/1, 4/4, and 3/3 berserker (empty handed), my opponent with a Titan, Slime, 10 land, and one sphere with counters left (including a wolf run and a nexus).

Turn 8:
My opponent draws his card, activates his nexus, and hits in with just the Nexus, wolf running for it all for 7 poison.  This isn't as bad as it seems, because he can only put me to 1 if I block, and holding back two blockers means he can block a berserker, and really, what's the worst that could happen?

I was thinking "how the heck can I win, and you might be thinking the same thing, since I had only 4 unblockable power on the table, and can only fireball for 8 even if I draw it, with my opponent on 14.  If I remove one of his blockers somehow, I only have 8 power, against his 14 life.  So, pretty slim draws, wouldn't you say?

I draw my card for the turn: Tezzeret's Gambit.  Okay, I have 9 land, maybe I can draw something good off this, and I do have 9 land in play from double-metamorphing the Titans...
Cast the Gambit, proliferating up the two berserkers with counters.
Draw: Mountain, Tezzeret's Gambit.
Okay, odds are pretty slim here, cast the second gambit, proliferate both berserkers with counters.
Draw: Mountain, Volt Charge.

So, I have the win at this point, though I don't see it for at least 10 seconds.  I think about Volt Charging him (which only does 9), volt charging the Titan (killing it), holding back to Volt Charge the Nexus, but then I see that he only has two blockers, and one of which was the slime he so cleverly fetched out with his GSZ for 5 to kill my Titan.

Volt Charge the Slime, Proliferate both Berserkers, attack with a 1/1, 7/7, and 6/6 Berserker, for exactly his 14 life remaining.  I think it's important to note that a threaten effect (Act of Aggression, etc) would NOT have won me the game, because he left his slime back.  Gambit into it does win though, because it makes the berserker damage 10, plus at least 4 from the titan.

This is an epic win for the books, to be sure...








No comments:

Post a Comment